Sunday, March 21, 2010

You're never too old for pizza.

We're celebrating my grandmother's birthday today with pop, pizza, and potato chips. There are 5 old ladies here. I keep hearing things like the following:

Well, you see right now we're having to plan our trip to Dayton around everyone's doctor's appointments.

There are currently 4 generations of my family here, ranging from the youngest child, Audrey, of about 8 months, to my grandmother, edging on 87, which she will turn tomorrow. My aunt asked my 3 year old cousin Aiden if he could count that high and he affirmed that no, he couldnt. Five minutes later he informed us that flies poop too. We asked him who told him and he responded "Daddy did!"
The highlight of my night though, was my mom's cousin Charlie. You see, Charlie is quite the prankster. His name is used to threaten Aiden when he is misbehaving; "Aiden, if you don't stop I'll send you home with Charlie!" However, Aiden is actually quite fond of Charlie, he still responds with "NO! I DON'T WANT THAT!" Complimenting Charlie's personality, is that of my great aunt Norie. I still remember being 5 years old and being chased around my house with the eerie fortune of being tickled until I laughed so hard I cried. Now, it is imperative to know that Norie is now 76 years old. Today, while walking into the dining room, Charlie snuck up behind her and whispered in her ear "boo!" She screamed as loud as she could, and then the whole room erupted in laughter. Apparently, that wasn't the first time this has happened; They've had an ongoing battle longer than I've been alive. But of course, this wasnt the end of it. Little 3 year old Aiden made the mistake of ambling down this same stretch of carpet, right into Charlie who screamed "RAWH!" Aiden's eyes got large and his hands outstretched as he squealed a high-pitched-kid-scream, jumping like a mini basketball player in the air. Once again, we had a good laugh.
No one mentioned the missing elder. The only old man that would have been there. It seemed as though my grandpa should have been here, asleep on the chair, or talking about planes and cars. This birthday was different for Grandma, having suffered the loss of her husband as well as her best friend, only months apart. Grandpa died just this past December, but it feels like yesterday that he accompanied my grandma to our house for a myriad of celebrations. We miss him dearly, but life moves on. Everyone is an optimist, who find the best in life while they live it.
But I digress. Our conversations wandered from prank stories to jury duty; to having to watch ponographic videos at jury duty (Thanks Mary Lou); to colonoscopies; to waking up during a colonoscopi; to having fat old lady bodies, old lady pains, and old lady memories. Mary Lou brought her sister Janette whom has gone blind. She has the most soothing low honey filled voice I've ever heard, and she complimented the group of old ladies well as they sat around the table celebrating while eating Laroza's pizza. I mean, with names like Maxine, Lenore, Mary Lou, Janette, and Juanita how could you not have a good time?

2 comments: