Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Some days are days to burn bridges, others are days to take the water under the bridge and extinguish the fire.

:)

I just spent about 3 hours cleaning out old binders to have the bare minimum of old papers I couldnt bare to get rid of. Thank goodness, I was going crazy with all these papers everywhere. What I did find was the paper I was supposed to write the last week of my Advanced Composition class. We were instructed to write a paper as if it were a letter to someone who has significance to us/ has impacted us/ or just someone we care about. I wrote about Kyle, and made it completely sappy. Haha. Here it is :)



Big Brother
They say that friends are the family that you choose, but for some it's family members that are the friends that you choose. As a child, I always tried to emulate the mannerisms and words of my older brother. Almost three years old when I was born, my brother took it upon himself to be my "protector." When I was a baby, he would pretend to be my babysitter and notify my mom as soon as I did something remotely dangerous. But more than this protecting, he was my friend. I had a doll that went everywhere with me, like most young children. However, I liked my doll so much because she talked to me in a high, sing-song falsetto, the voice of my brother. This comedic act lasted many years. Since I was so excited for Christmas when I was small, every year I would sleep on the floor of my brother's room. We'd wake up before it was even daylight and together we'd sneak downstairs with flashlights to "inspect" our presents.
This stong family bond continued to grow as I got older. When my "boyfriend" broke up with me in the 8th grade, my brother immediately ran into my room to ask "whose butt am I Kicking?!" When most teenagers wanted nothing to do with their siblings, I clung to mine tightly. We drove to school together in his '97, green Ford Ranger, which has been (rightfully) passed down to me. We were in marching band together for two years and I couldnt have made it through without him. My brother even let me into his tight knit circle of friends, who always told me how I was "such a cutie." It was always "monkey see, monkey do"; I followed in my brother's footsteps.
As time went by, my brother graduated 9th in his class and recieved a scholarship to OSU. I had decided, upon repeated questioning, that I didn't want to follow in my brother's footsteps again. Now, when posed with the same question, I have changed my mind. I want to go to the Ohio State University. Our moments to grow up together are scarce and short and I miss his company. Though sparse, they still do exist. Recently, when my grandfather passed away, my brother and I found ourselves home alone, as our parents were dealing with family matters. It was 12 o'clock on a school night, yet we found ourselves watching the television show "Glee" (our favorite) abd having root beer floats. Thats the thing; my brother and I enjoy spending time with eachother. From waching movies like 500 Days of Summer, to playing video games like Sonic Tennis, to just talking, we really love eachother. When teachers ask "Is Kyle Montgomery your older brolther?" I'm glad to respond that, yes, we're siblings. Im proud of my brother. I truely do look up to him in all that I do.


P.S. Brother, I hid this paper between "The World's Greatest Railroad Journeys" and your Pokemon guide book if you wanted it.

No comments:

Post a Comment