Today I spent almost 200 dollars at Joann Fabrics.
Granted, I bought 21 yards of fabric about 100,000 beads, 6 spools of thread, and a zippper. I still spent the abserd ammount of $190 dollars, WITH having several 40% off 1 item coupons and 15% off of everything else. Thus, this is the price I pay for a unique, one of the kind, hand beaded prom dress and a design of my own creation. However, I would be no where without three very important people: My mother, Connie Miller, and Bunny Brooks.
First of all, my mother is paying for me to take sewing lessons because she knows just how much I've loved sewing since I started to make doll clothes at age six. Secondly, she's kept me in budget, in line, and making the right choices. I now have a massive amount of chiffon, satin, and lining in the color "blue radiance" which compliments my skin color, and makes my indecisive eyes just the right shade.
The second person I have to thank is Mrs. Connie Miller, who has dealt with my sewing mistakes, my indecisiveness, and my moments of stupidity. Because of her, I have a pattern for a dress exactly how I want it, with the fitting and design tweeked to perfection. A circle skirt instead of princess seams, a lower back, a butterfly, all of this has been her doing. In the coming weeks I will be making my creation a reality, with the careful guidance of her.
Lastly, I have to thank Mrs. Bunny Brooks, who is my College life skills teacher, my mother's good friend, and a major part in my fabric purchases. She met me at Joann's today in her spare time and used her teacher discount on my purchase. She also got the cashier to let us use 3 40% off coupons instead of just one. She claimed we were "doing a school project" (hey, its a strech!) and continued to chat with the cashier, her knitting teacher, as she casually got her way. Being a home-ec major, she also was able to make sure I took necessary precautions: getting all my fabric off the same bolt, copying down washing instructions, getting extra thread (a color darker!) and advising me to pre-wash my fabric. During this adventure, I also got to hear many upon many stories of Lebanon in the Brooks/Pomeroy era, circa 1970-1973, as she and my mother reminisced about school. I love living in a small town.
At last, This is my support group, the three women I know will be watching over me as I embark on my quest for the perfect prom dress; They'll keep me on track to making a breathtaking masterpiece of satin and chiffon... I hope.
Did I mention I'm entering a contest?
-Kels
No comments:
Post a Comment